Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Busy Day in Ha Noi /Plans Plans Plans!






So right now I am in planning and organization mode. I have just registered for Fall classes in case I don't get a coop, though I must say that right now a coop does look promising, and I am hoping that it works out! If I get this internship, I can intern at the Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GPHCC)! It is a company that through marketing promotions is able to aid hispanic owners of small companies and large corporations to network while enabling the opening of job opportunities among the companies. They also help with policies affecting hispanic businessmen(women) and they also focus on developing and empowering the hispanic communities within Philadelphia. They asked me to send my resume after I had (what I believe) an awesome conversation with the woman who is in charge of small business development. This is such a great opportunity. I hope the door doesn't close on my foot but rather that it will open more and more with each passing day.

I also have to contact more people for my ISP. Among one of the people that I have to contact is a man by the name of Tam who has connections/knows people at the Can Tho tourism department. However, I really want to talk to the people who work at the subdivision known as the works company because I think that they will be very important sources to my research.

Today we went to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and it was depressing. I don't want to do that ever again if I can. I just felt it was so wrong to have him on display like that, when on his will he wrote that he wanted to be cremated, and that he wanted his ashes to be spread across the river and the mountains. We also went to the Presidential Palace. We got to learn more about Ho Chi Minh's life and it seems like he was a very simplistic, compassionate and intellectual person. Apparently he knew 8 languages and had friends from many different countries! Then we went to the Ethnology museum to learn more about the different ethnic minorities in Viet Nam. I found a book in Spanish. I think my dad will like this book because it focuses on "memories of war" and deals with history.

In addition, we also went to watch a water puppet show. You must see it! I recommend this activity to all and anyone who goes to Ha Noi, Viet Nam.

BY THE WAY WE DID ALL OF THIS JUST TODAY (IN ONE DAY). I am so exhausted!
Tomorrow we are off to a Moung village (ethnic minority). We will sleep over at their communal house most likely.

1 comment:

Tiina said...

wow, that does sound like a handful. And those puppets look amazing. I want to visit Vietnam now at least at some point in my life.

 
;