Tuesday, November 15, 2011

There is a Light at the End of this Tunnel

Feeling a lot better. Things seem to be turning around and I am thankful for that. I am also feeling really fortunate for the friends I do have and for the support network that the Rangel fellows have given me. They have really been helpful at this time and I feel blessed to know that these people will be my future colleagues at the State department.

So on to happier news...I bought my mom's plane ticket and she will be going back to Nicaragua. I love my mom but this will be a huge load of my back. She is able to live a better quality of life in Nicaragua and as long as she is in NYC she will continue to be unhappy. I will not be able to support her if she stays in NYC. Plus, even though my step dad has colon cancer he is fighting and seems to be doing better. She will be with him and it will give her something to do while he is able to support her with his business. He isn't rich but they live modest but comfortable lives in Nicaragua.

My sister started her taxi driving job last week. I had given her startup money and it seems her hard work is paying off. She is finally making enough to pay her bills and she is in a much better mood. I feel relieved. I was able to have a candid and rational conversation with her and she really seems to be thinking about her future. We will be opening her first bank account next week and are looking EMT programs she can apply for next spring.

I am not sure if you know this but this semester I was an editing assistant and production assistant for the Journal of International Affairs at SIPA, a reputable and well known publication. This journal has gone to print and it looks beautiful. I felt really proud to have been a part of that and am looking forward to having a copy in my hands and seeing my name in it.

I am so glad to have made the friends that I have at SIPA. So far, since Friday I have been putting in between 3 to 4 hours everyday on Economics and things are starting to come together and to solidify. I am going to grab this Friday's econ exam by the balls and get that B average! I am not going to let my grade slip below a B in this class. Although I must profess that economics has gotten exponentially harder from the time that I took my last economics exam (there are three in the semester). I will make sure to reward myself by getting a drink after my exam with my 2nd year SIPA student/Rangel fellow Marissa who is just absolutely awesome and who I deem a great friend and my informal mentor.

Wish me luck! This weekend I will start working on the 20 page paper I have due in exactly one month's time. No worries though, I already started doing research for it. :)

No comments:

 
;