Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Grad School - A Time Mangement Challenge

So, it's week 2 at SIPA and although I wish I could say I am on the ball...I feel more like I am on the ball sometimes and other times, I am failing at not falling off. Without a doubt, graduate school is INTENSE. Lots of options, lots of reading, lots to do! The conundrum lies in finding the balance between the assignments, the activities and resting. I have often heard it said that one can have 2 out of 3 things but not all three. You can't have a social life, do well and rest - apparently, I have to choose two..I am hoping to make sure this is not the case. I am only taking 4 classes this semester, possibly 4 and half (one class would be a short course) but the classes I am taking are all core requirements (unless I get into the short course, although I am trying to see if I can get it approved to count towards my security concentration). Meaning, I MUST take them to graduate.

Today, I was talking to one of my colleagues and we both agreed, what is the point of taking as many classes as one can? Now I understand that we are paying a flat rate, (so whether one takes 12 credits or 18 it is the same cost). However, I refuse to completely isolate myself and have no social life. No sir, not me. When I graduate, I doubt people will care about what classes I took at SIPA. The way I see it, I should be learning but I should be happy while doing it, despite the obvious stresses accompanied with a graduate level workload. Since I am not taking the maximum number of classes this semester I can actually do things I find fun or interesting, like joining the International Affairs Journal, going out with other SIPA people or just spending time with my boyfriend.

No comments:

 
;